Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Why?

Just recently I got on a "Big Bang Theory" fix. Why? Well up until today I hadn't really given it any thought...But today in my Media class we were talking about the different reasons that people watch certain TV shows. A lot of times we watch things to meet certain needs we may have. I don't know if anyone has seen any episodes of the Big Bang Theory, but basically it is about these beyond super nerdy guys that live across the hall from a hot chick that is pretty dumb (Penny)...at least in regards to physics. She is very socially inclined, whereas the nerdy boys (especially Sheldon) are socially inept. Anywho, background story real quick, I did just have surgery over Christmas break and now I have to spend 4 hours a day, every day, with my leg hooked into a machine that goes up and down, up and down. It is boring to say the least (unless watching TV), and sometimes can be painful, so I usually take the very powerful drugs they gave me to help with pain, but this also puts me out and makes me just want to fall asleep, but I don't want to fall asleep, so instead I veg in front of the TV. Enough of that, I just had to excuse my ridiculous amount of time watching this show, plus, that truly is one reason why I watch the show, I need some sort of entertainment during the most boring periods of my life! Second, I love nerdy boys. Always have. I never was one of those girls that went for the "Brad Pitt" look or the good looks advertised in Hollywood. Nerds are darling, naive, and you just feel good when hanging out with them because life isn't about all the petty things in life like it can be when you're with other people. I like to think I married a nerd, but Taylor doesn't really think he is one. So we meet halfway...he's got the smarts of a nerd...but he isn't really interested in typical nerdy things like Batman, and action figures, and the kind that can speak the weird languages in Star Wars and Lord of the rings (like the nerds from BBT do). So I just watch it to get my nerd fix. I love nerds, and being married has kept me from said nerds. Haha. JK! But I guess in a way it is kind of true. Third, I was always that girl growing up that was hanging out with the guys. I was doing the boy things and spending all my time with them, and I enjoyed being the only girl in their little circle. I love that Penny is that girl, so I guess in a way I identify with her a little bit. I feel like in real life, I would totally be that girl that was friends with these guys (despite their weird quirks and sometimes obnoxious commentary). I was always friends with people that others wouldn't give the time of day to. Said, but sometimes true.

I could write more, but my leg is in the machine and I am currently heavily medicated...which means, BBT will have to be my cure. BYE!

I added the picture, because I really do think that they are just adorable. 

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with what you said! TV is a way to get out of life and help us cope with what life brings. I have yet to watch the Big Bang Theory, but plan to someday. My roommates love it and when she knocks on my door intermittently and she'll say, "danielle," (knocks) "danielle," (knocks)"danielle," (knocks) "danielle". I need to watch this show so I can know what she's talking about!

    Good luck overcoming the surgery! that's real rough, but a good excuse to catch up on some fun shows!

    ReplyDelete