Saturday, February 18, 2012

Whitney Houston and Rebecca Black

K, I am at my parent's house this weekend and last night my mom and dad were watching the 20/20 special on Whitney Houston's life. Honestly, I did not really know anything about her prior to this besides she sings the song "I will always love you." I know I am just not up to date on all these popular people. Anyway, they said something interesting in the video...Whitney was desperately trying to make a comeback after the whole drug and whatever other crazy things were going on. Unfortunately, she just wasn't ready for her comeback and would often miss her high notes, and her voice just wasn't the same. They even showed one video of her taking a minute pause before starting the high note of her song. They said that it was really bad for Whitney Houston that all of this happened when Youtube was becoming really popular because it meant that people could watch and rewatch all over her mess ups and bad concerts. She was in the headlines, but for all her nasty performances. It really shot her self esteem. I love the powers of youtube for funny videos, or even true news. But sometimes I just really feel bad about the negative effects it has on individuals who are being made fun of, or put down every time one of their videos is watched. Anybody remember the not so wonderful Rebecca Black's breakthrough on youtube with the ever popular "Friday?" Of course you do...it was terrible, and it was watched millions upon millions of times. SAD!

K in this title I don't want to say I am comparing Rebecca Black to Whitney Houston...but both got put down from their viral videos on youtube. 

1 comment:

  1. There are some pretty terrible (and funny things) on youtube. Have you ever seen the video Scarlet Takes a Tumble? It's a video of this overweight girl who is singing and she steps on a table and falls backwards really hard. Someone decided to remix this video and it has a ton of views now. I agree that I like youtube because it can be a powerful communicator of messages, but it can also really kill someone's self-esteem.

    ReplyDelete